Sushi is one of our favorite naturally gluten-free restaurant meals! However, it can be expensive if you eat out often. This delicious deconstructed sushi bowl will satisfy any sushi craving with almost no prep time and at a super affordable price!
If you make the rice ahead of time (we make a batch on a timer using a rice cooker, ready each morning), this meal can be ready in a jiffy. Plus, fish is one of the quickest and easiest protein sources to cook.
Deconstructed Sushi Bowl Recipe:
- 1½ cups cooked white or brown rice
- 2 servings fish or vegan alternative (raw sushi grade fish, cooked fish, canned tuna, edamame, etc)
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Optional garnishes: sesame seeds, sliced green onion, pickled ginger, nori sheets torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Tbsp GF Soy Sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp sriracha
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Optional: ¼ tsp gluten-free wasabi powder or paste
- Cook rice according to instructions on package. Optional: Season with 2 tsp rice vinegar.
- Prepare vegetables and fish while rice is cooking.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well. Alternatively, add to a bowl and whisk.
- Prepare bowls: Add rice as a base. Top with vegetables, fish, and garnishes. Add sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Switch out the protein source, make it vegan with tofu or edamame, use quinoa instead of rice, and add vegetables of your choosing - this bowl is super versatile!
Need to turn down the heat?
Swap the Sriracha with honey or agave syrup for a sweet sesame dressing without the spiciness
Cooking while traveling?
Gluten-free soy sauce alone can be used as a dressing, canned tuna or salmon is just perfect, instant rice or microwavable rice or quinoa cups will work, and you can find travel-friendly meal prep tools in our shop!
Sushi Bowl Ingredients:
Missing some ingredients? Check out the “Ingredients Essentials” section of our shop. We validate the gluten-free status of each of the items ourselves by phone, email and in person. In case you’re wondering, I’m a super sensitive celiac and I have personally tried each one of these products without getting sick.
Don’t take our word for it, try this recipe yourself! And when you do, share your creations on instagram and be sure to tag #vibrantlygfree .
Enjoy this one, my friend! We can’t get over how simple and versatile this dish is.