Anti-inflammatory, soothing, and delicious, this golden beet soup packs a lot of warm fuzzy feelings into one bright bowl. It is delightfully simple and a perfect dish for beginner to experienced cooks.
I never thought to puree root vegetables to make a soup, but I am so glad a local restaurant introduced me to the idea! It’s the perfect meal to eat when you’re feeling unwell. If you have celiac disease like me, it’s the perfect gluten-free meal to calm the digestive system after being glutened.
It may seem unconventional, but you will be so glad you tried it. We make this soup every week in the cooler months and whenever beetroots are available.
If you have an immersion blender, you can make this easily just before eating. If you’re using a standing blender or food processor, I recommend making it earlier in the day or the night before so you can safely transfer and puree the soup once cooled. And if I may offer a recommendation, consider an immersion blender – it is a serious game-changer!
Now onto the most delightful vegetable soup you will ever experience!
Golden Beet + Turmeric Soup Recipe:
- 1 Tbsp coconut butter (15 g)
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 medium beetroots, peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 3 medium white or sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 tsp cumin (0.5 g)
- 1 tsp turmeric (0.5 g)
- 1 can (440 ml) full fat coconut milk
- Optional: 1 bay leaf
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add onions, stirring on occasion, and cook until caramelized (approximately 5-7 minutes). Use splashes of water as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Add the garlic and stir until golden (about 2 minutes).
- Add broth, root vegetable pieces, spices, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until root vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Remove the bay leaf. Turn heat to low and use an immersion blender to puree completely. You can also use a standard food processor or standing blender - in this case, wait for it to cool before pureeing and then reheat (perfect for making a day ahead).
- Add the coconut milk, stir, and serve hot.
Make this your own by adding additional beetroots (this recipe can handle one or two more) or other root vegetables.
If you’re still debating, let me reassure you – this soup is worth every ounce of your effort. Whether served fresh or for leftovers, this soup won’t disappoint.
Looking for a real showstopper? Serve it with this delicious Gluten-Free Irish Soda Bread… we almost never make one without the other anymore!
With love and gratitude,