This flavorful one-pot dairy-free Herby Vegan Alfredo Pasta is creamy, comforting, addictive (in a good way ;)), and gluten-free! A perfect easy weeknight meal that’s easy to make and easy to clean up. Perfect comfort food for a cool rainy day
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 14-oz (400 ml) can full fat coconut milk
- 400 g GF pasta (4-5 servings), I used tinkyada fusilli
- 1 8-oz package sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- Black pepper and lemon juice to taste
- Heat oil in a 5 quart Dutch oven. Add shallots and sautée for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring on occasion.
- Add garlic, crushed red pepper, and rosemary. Sauté for two minutes stirring constantly. Then add broth, coconut milk and pasta. Pat the top of the pasta down so it’s mostly submerged.
- Bring to a low boil and allow to cook for five minutes with the lid partly covering.
- Add mushrooms, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos (or GF tamari), and salt. Allow to cook for an additional five minutes or until pasta is al dente, stirring on occasion.
- Remove from heat. Add spinach and stir into the pasta to wilt. Serve warm with black pepper and lemon juice to taste.
Pasta recommendation: Tinkyada (not sponsored). Of all the gluten-free pastas I’ve tried, Tinkyada leaves the most starch in the water — a good thing for this recipe! The starch thickens the sauce which makes it even creamier.
Lemon juice adds that extra kick to this already tasty recipe! Add just before serving, or serve with lemon wedges on the side.
Keywords: pasta, weeknight