Strawberry rhubarb coffee cake? Don’t mind if I do! A perfect breakfast or afternoon snack, this gluten free, dairy free, and paleo cake won’t disappoint. We used almond and cassava flours for a hearty breakfast pastry but listed alterations to lighten it up for a picnic or evening dessert.
Here’s why you’ll love this Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake:
- It can easily be altered to fit many different dietary needs (suggestions in the ‘notes’ section)
- Enjoy a soft cake with a crispy crumb topping – yum yum!
- The perfect ratio of rhubarb to strawberry for a sweet but tangy jam-like layer beneath the streusel
- It is a unique and droolworthy take on a classic crumble
This cake is perfect for spring and summer, or anytime you defrost frozen rhubarb for a taste of sunshine!
Tip: Slice extra rhubarb and freeze it for later. You’ll never notice the difference between frozen and fresh in this coffee cake.
We make this snack for 4th of July picnics and it never lasts beyond the first hour!
Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake Recipe:
- ½ cup coconut butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup cassava flour (or other 1 to 1 GF flour)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups thinly sliced fresh rhubarb
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped coarsely
- Streusel topping:
- ⅔ cup cassava flour
- ⅔ cup coconut sugar
- 4 Tbsp melted coconut butter
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Grease a 9 x 13” glass baking dish with coconut oil. Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Add coconut butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and coconut milk to a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, add almond flour, cassava flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well, then add to the bowl of liquid ingredients in increments, mixing well as you go.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan. Evenly distribute the rhubarb slices and strawberries across the top.
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients for streusel topping and mix well (we use a fork). Sprinkle the topping evenly over the strawberries and rhubarb.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is lightly crisp and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool and enjoy!
Coconut sugar can be replaced with any granulated sugar.
The cassava flour and the almond flour can be replaced with any gluten-free 1-to-1 flour.
For a lighter cake, you can substitute cassava flour (or GF 1-to-1 flour) for the almond flour.
You can replace the strawberries with other berries or leave them out altogether.
Flax eggs works well in place of the eggs, so this can be easily adapted to suit our vegan friends!
Coconut milk can be replaced with ½ cup milk and ½ cup yogurt or sour cream.
Tag us with #vibrantlygfree on instagram when you make this strawberry rhubarb coffee cake! We love to see your creations.
With love and gratitude,