It’s always a pleasant surprise when a recipe experiment turns out just right! This dairy and gluten free pumpkin pie recipe is a fantastic twist on an old classic. While appearing ‘crustless’, this pie has a little secret – the crust is on the inside. Read more to see what I mean…
I’ve always found that dairy free pumpkin pie recipes take sooo long to cook. For example, “add 2 cups of soymilk and bake for 60 minutes,” but oh wait, just kidding, really 2 hours. Therefore, my solution to this problem was to mix the crust into the pie!
Adding 1/3 cups (32 g) of almond flour to the custard base gives the pie a unique texture and absorbs some of the liquid, thus shortening the cooking time to 25 minutes! This delightful addition also adds a bit of that nutty crust flavor to every delicious bite.
We also think almond flour makes this officially a breakfast food.
Here’s how to make this amazing gluten free pumpkin pie:
- 1 15 oz can of pureed pumpkin (or 2 cups fresh) (425 grams)
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup coconut milk (160 ml)
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (80 ml)
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract (2.5 ml)
- ⅓ cup almond flour (32 g)
- ¼ tsp salt (1.5 g)
- ¼ tsp allspice (0.5 g)
- ¼ tsp ginger (0.5 g)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg (0.5 g)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (1 g)
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F (220 deg C).
- Lightly grease an 8” or 9” cake or pie pan (~ 22cm).
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake until top is golden brown and pie has solidified - approximately 25 minutes.
We often serve this gluten free pumpkin pie after our crispy roasted brussel sprouts and crispy parsley roasted potatoes for the holidays.