It’s been too hot around here to turn on the oven lately, so we got to work creating some no-cook recipes! This gluten-free edible cookie dough is delicious; why didn’t I develop this recipe sooner? It’s gluten-free, eggless, and has a vegan/dairy-free substitution for the cream cheese used in the first version of this recipe. Right, enough talk, straight to the dough!
Here’s why you’ll want to give this recipe a try:
- it has a creamy taste with a delightfully fudgy texture
- each bite is fully loaded with chocolate chips
- it tastes just like the regular cookie dough you’ve been sneaking bites of for years (we so understand)
- you will have a very hard time setting it down (we recommend storing it in the back of the fridge and only getting one spoonful at a time before putting it away… make that a heaping spoonful)
Okay, without further ado, let’s deliver this recipe so you can get started:
- ¼ cup (50 grams) coconut oil
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) vanilla
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) honey
- 1 oz (30 grams) cream cheese (substitute 1 Tbsp almond or sunflower seed butter for vegan/dairy-free)
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp (135 grams) gluten-free flour (see notes for comments on flour types and toasting raw flour)
- ½ cup (60 grams) chocolate chips (mini preferred)
- In a large bowl, add coconut oil, vanilla, and honey.
- Using a fork, mix and mash the ingredients together until creamy.
- Add cream cheese and continue to mix/mash with a fork.
- Gradually add flour a few tablespoons at a time, mixing thoroughly.
- Add chocolate chips and mix well.
* There have been some recent outbreaks of E Coli recorded in regular wheat flour. If consuming raw flour and the potential risk of bacteria is of concern to you, we have a solution! Here it is:
1. Spread the flour you plan to use on an ungreased baking sheet.
2.Toast at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 5 minutes.
3.Let the flour fully cool before you use it in the recipe.
We ate the flour raw (do so at your own risk) and toasted, and found that the toasting actually adds a delightful extra bit of flavor!
Who doesn’t love a fun new serving suggestion? Here’s a picture of the vegan/dairy-free version. We omitted the chocolate chips and doubled the almond/sunflower seed butter (you would want to double the cream cheese in the original) to make it a bit creamier. We then added choclate slabs for dipping. It’s the dessert version of chips and dip, and we think your guests will go as wild for this treat as ours did!
Enjoy, and be careful, it’s addicting!
With love and gratitude, ❤︎ Jamie