Flavorful marinated Chinese Five Spice Chicken, crisp zucchini spears, and fresh fluffy rice makes the perfect easy Asian fusion! With minimal cooking time, you don’t need to heat up your house (or camper van) with this one 😉 Once marinated with just a few ingredients, you can go from drooling over these photos to dinner in no time!
This Chinese Five Spice Chicken Recipe is amazing because…
- the unusual flavor and vegetable combo will totally shake up your routine!
- it uses only 9 ingredients including sides 😉
- the marinade is droolworthy…
- it’s home, camp stove, and camper van friendly!
PLUS you get 3 amazing textures in one quick dish:
- Juicy chicken
- Crisp zucchini spears
- Fluffy fresh rice
What more could you want from an easy recipe?
Marinade for as long as possible.
I always marinade the chicken for at least an hour, but longer is definitely better!
Gluten Free Friends: Choose a GF-friendly spice blend!
Spice blends are more likely to have gluten cross-contact during manufacturing. Choose a Chinese Five Spice labeled gluten-free. And if you’re still adjusting to cross-contact and other aspects of gluten-free living, I encourage you to check out my Trust Your GF Food ebook! It will help you master all the tricks way faster <3
Low fuss food = happiness.
This recipe is super low fuss and one of our favorite weeknight meals.
Chinese Five Spice Chicken with Zucchini Spears:Print
Flavorful marinated Chinese Five Spice Chicken, crisp zucchini spears, and fresh fluffy rice make the perfect easy Asian fusion! With minimal cooking time and few ingredients, you can go from drooling over these photos to dinner in no time!
Chicken and Marinade:
- 1 lb chicken
- 2 Tablespoons canola or other cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 shallots sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice
- ¼ cup coconut aminos or GF tamari
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (trust me on this one)
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger (or ½ thumb -sized piece fresh, minced)
- 2 tsp canola or other cooking oil
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 2-inch spears
- 5 servings prepared jasmine or basmati rice
- Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place in an airtight container and add canola and sesame oils, sliced shallots, Chinese Five Spice, coconut aminos, maple syrup, and dried ginger. Mix well and allow to marinade for at least an hour, several hours or overnight if possible.
- Add chicken and marinade to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook through, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove contents from the pan, then add a small amount of canola oil and the zucchini spears back to the pan. Fry zucchini spears on high heat until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Prepare bowls with chicken, zucchini spears, and fresh rice. Enjoy!
- Cuisine: Fusion
Keywords: camper van, camp stove, camping meals
Photos of the Cooking Process
Marinade the chicken.
Fry chicken and marinade on medium-high heat until fully cooked, about 7 minutes.
Fry the zucchini spears on high heat until slightly softened.
Save this recipe on Pinterest by clicking the ‘save’ button in the top left corner of the picture below:
Hungry for more?
Check out our tasty gluten-free Recipe Index <3
With love and gratitude,